Thursday, August 13, 2009

La Corona



Basquiat anyone? I asked my mum if it was too much to wear the hat when I have the tattoo. She said that I would just be coordinating. Thx mom.

I really love this crown symbol. I love how Basquiat used it to honor people. Thats mostly what its about for me. Our abilities to honor each other for the wonderful things that we do, for the beautiful, intricate, complicated things that we are. And the copyright? In jest of what it means. Basquiat would put the copyright symbol next to drawings in his art- BAM! instant art. Tounge in cheek I think. So it is in homage to Basquiat and his use of the crown, but also a recognition that this symbol by no means belongs to him or just his artwork. Also a testiment to that is the fact that i sketched the crowns myself (not traced from one of his works).

No comments: